Pancake Day 2019


Dick Vincent, @dickvincent

Once I learned Pancake Day was a thing, I was super eager to take part in it. Not only because I love pancakes, but I'm also being tortured by king cake photos from friends in Louisiana and I need my own thing. Pancakes it is!

According to this website, Pancake Day, or Shrove Tuesday, was the last opportunity to use up eggs and fats before embarking on the Lenten fast and pancakes are the perfect way of using up these ingredients. So glutton it up before you have to give it all up. I support this.


Sophie Corrigan, @ladyaxolotl

In true rookie fashion, I made plans to go to a place I thought served pancakes as well as burgers, since Lyle's not that into pancakes. When we got there, we learned they only serve pancakes for breakfast. Lame and not at all in the spirit of Pancake Day (key word DAY). I also blame the article I read about where to eat on Pancake Day for leaving out this critical fact.

The lack of pancakes didn't deter us. We ate ridiculously large burgers and fried chicken sandwiches and tried their fried pickles. (Bread and butter pickles, interesting choice...) I thought I'd be good without pancakes, but who was I kidding? I'd been looking forward to this since I learned there was a whole holiday dedicated to syrup!

So we swung by this place called The Pudding Pantry that I've been plotting to go to since I arrived in town. Their Instagram photos are seriously tempting. We were able to get a table and ordered the Eton Mess to share: strawberries, lemon curd, Chantilly cream and crushed meringue.


We also ordered a strawberry milkshake. Don't judge.

The pancakes were amazing. I already told Lyle we're coming back for my birthday. Pudding Pantry + Game of Thrones = can't lose! Apparently traditional English pancakes are thinner and have a slightly different taste than American ones. And there's something about putting lemon juice or wedges on them? Not sure. The ones we got were very fluffy and American in taste, and the only lemon was the delicious curd.

The milkshake was interesting. The ratio of milk to  ice cream seemed to be about 80/20. We were questioning whether or not there was even ice cream in there - it seemed like maybe it was just whipped, flavored milk? It was really tasty, but now I'm on a quest to try more milkshakes to see if that's normal or unique to this place. I'll report back.


So far, Pancake Day is my favorite thing about England. I'm excited to see what can top it! :)

Comments