Workin' 9 to 5



On Monday I start a new job. It's at a nonprofit organization called Headway, which provides direct services and resources to people (and their families and carers) suffering from brain injuries.

I received the offer on May 15, meaning I was job searching for three full months. (I arrived in England mid-February.) At the time, it felt like it was taking forever, but three months doesn't actually sound like that long from the vantage point of now having a job.

In those three months, I applied for 19 jobs of all varieties. (I felt at least 80% qualified for each of them.) I didn't hear anything back from three of them, didn't get an interview for 12, did get an interview for four and received two offers in the end.

Of the 14 non-fundraising positions I applied for, I got one interview. Of the five fundraising positions I applied for, I got three interviews. The ratio of 14:5 was really a function of what was available - Nottingham isn't that big a city and therefore doesn't have that many fundraising positions that aren't standing on a corner asking people to sign my petition. I didn't mind, though, as I would have welcomed an opportunity to try something other than fundraising. Similar to other job searches I've had, however, it's really hard to break out of the career path you've made for yourself, however unintended!

The new job is a 40-minute commute, including walking and a tram ride. I'd hoped to find something closer, but between this offer and the other (which did have a slightly shorter commute), I think this one was the better choice. It was a really tough decision, though. I could have gone either way.

And 40 minutes of walking and a tram is nothing compared to the 1 hour 45-minute car-train-light rail-shuttle-mess I was doing back home. (Each way! But I loved my job and it was worth it, so it was fine.)

While searching for a job, I couldn't really enjoy the time off. I was anxious and felt like I always had to be doing something productive, or feel guilty while I wasn't. In true Helen fashion, I even made a spreadsheet so I could tally the tasks I completed each day with the goal of reaching a certain amount and thus crown the day a non-failure.

These past three weeks, though, have been really nice because I could let all of that go. I think I could get used to being a lady of leisure if I didn't have to feel badly about it! (Of course, I always would as long as Lyle was working too.)

I will miss chores not being a time-suck because I have all the time to do them. I will miss planning meals and cooking at home and not having it feel like it takes up my entire evening. I will miss running along the canal and seeing baby geese and baby swans get bigger by the day. (See photo above!) Most of all (really a tie with baby swans) I will miss all the time in the world to read. I've gotten through a ton of books in the past three weeks (which is good, because it seemed like all of the books on my library list came up at once). My favorite part of the day was drinking a cup of coffee after Lyle left for work and reading until I figured I ought to do something else. Which was usually check on the baby water birds.

But, alas, all good things must come to an end, and if I want to continue to buy food and other things, a second income is a must. I'm dreading starting a new job because I hate meeting people and learning new things and all the adjusting that goes along with it. (I promise I'm a good employee!) I'm also dreading having to wear work clothes again. At least my start date was perfectly timed with the arrival of our Seattle things, so I actually have work clothes to wear.

I'm sure there will be a lot of differences between an American and British office, so stay tuned for those observations. In the meantime, wish me luck!


Comments